Saturday 8 February 2020

Editing and its Joys

I've recently completed an Edit 1 on a lovely flash fiction collection, which is best summed up as slice of life type stories. Am looking forward to working further on this with the author.

But I have found in both of the collections I've worked on for Bridge House so far that the editing process has made me look more critically at my own writing. That, I think, is a good thing!

What no writer (or editor) can afford is to become complacent. Being made to think is this the best I can do, or could I rewrite this in such a way the story has more impact sharpens up your own skills so much.

Let's hear it for the joys of editing then!

Enjoy the joy of writing but good editing will shape your prose up wonderfully. Pixabay image.

But I admit it can be hard to think of those joys at times. The joy of creating new stories etc is obvious; the joys of rewriting (and again and again etc) less so.

I've come to appreciate the importance of clarity much more. Are the images I'm trying to conjure up in my own writing really coming across the way I've intended? Likewise, when editing another author's work, can I get the true sense of what they are trying to convey? Are their images hitting home the way I believe the author intends they should?

The other thing that has really struck home since working for Bridge House is how important it is that another editor does see your work. You really do get too close to your own work.


Playing around with words can spark creative ideas but are your images coming through clearly enough?  Pixabay image.


But what is fantastic, both from the writer's and editor's viewpoint, is when the editing is done and you both know the stories are sharper, stronger and hit home better as a result of working together to produce the best possible prose. I don't think I'll tire of that feeling whether I'm wearing the author's hat or the editor's one.  Happy writing (and editing) everyone!


Lightbulb moments come to editors too but should be used to inspire the author with ways they can use to strengthen their imagery and impact of their prose. Pixabay image.



No comments:

Post a Comment