Thursday 3 September 2020

Advertising events

 

 



I once worked with a colleague who could persuade anybody to do anything.  She was a great event organiser and her events were always fully attended.  I went to a few that I might not have visited if I’d only seen a flyer and in the end I was glad I’d decided to go.  It was her absolute enthusiasm that made her events great and that persuaded people to attend.

When I used to organise German cafés when I was a high school teacher I was amazed by the response though I wasn’t sure what I’d done right.  And guess what: the original idea had come from this very colleague.  It was almost as if her enthusiasm carried me on for years – I ran these cafés annually between 1986 and 1999.

I’m organising three writers’ events in September and am intrigued to observe a steady trickle people registering.   Is some of Gerda’s magic at work? We can take up to 100 at each event and anything over six is acceptable with 25 being extremely comfortable.  Well, we have more than six in all three cases.  The trickle consists of people I already know and people I’ve never heard of which is exactly how it should be.  

Some of you I know have already registered for one of the events.  More details of all three are included below in Events .  

I’ve devised a list of groups of people to contact and each day I’m contacting one of them. Here’s my list. Do use it if it’s helpful.

·         Twitter and Facebook at regular intervals  

·         Facebook Gill James Writer Page

·         Bridge House writers’ mailing list

·         Gill James Writer’s mailing list 

·         Author central  

·         Bridge House Publishing Writer’s Page 

·         Gill James blog  

·         Linked in time line 

·         Linked in Salford group   

·         https://www.scbwi.org/scbwi-invite/public-listing/

·         Colleagues at Salford

·         Cousins

·         Individuals

·         Schedule Twitter posts  

·         Events on Facebook

·         Facebook – schedule on time line   

·         Facebook CafeLit Page

·         Facebook Creative Cafe Page 

·         Facebook Red Telephone Page

·         Bridge House Publishing Blog

·         U3A Creative Writing Group

·         U3A Forum

·         Colleagues at University of  Salford

·         SSF Facebook page

Of course, the most effective and probably the hardest to do is approaching individuals.  That is what Gerda was so good at. 

An Afternoon with Nick Oldham 12 September 2.00 p.m.

This is organised by the Lancashire Authors Association. Nick is a local (to me) writer and publisher and will talk to the group about his work. There will be an opportunity to ask questions and for people to read out some of their own work.  If you would like to attend this, email me and I will send you the Zoom link.     

!940s Readers and Writers 17 September 8.00 p.m.

This is for all of you who are intrusted in the 1940s. Dawn Knox, Stuart Larner and I plus one writer from my 1940s Facebook  group, will be reading from and talking about our work. There will be an opportunity to ask questions and also a chance to read from your work as well, time permitting. There will be free materials for all. There is also the opportunity for you promote work even if you are not one of the key speakers.  You can sign up here:  https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/1940s-writers-and-readers-tickets-118201910095

An afternoon with some of our writers 26 September 3 p.m.

Similar to the 1940s evening , Dawn Knox, Allison Symes and I will be reading from our work There will be an opportunity to ask questions  and also a chance to read form your work as well. There will be free materials for all. There is also the opportunity for you to promote work even if you are not one of the key speakers.  You can sign up here: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/an-afternoon-with-some-of-our-authors-tickets-118046896445

There is actually room for one more reader at this event, so if you would like to be involved please let me know.  First come, first served. 



No comments:

Post a Comment